28 February 2010

Purim!

Ah Purim! So busy but so nice! Dovid summed it up well, he said tonight, I wish we could have a whole week of Purim :)

It was busy, with a kids party in the morning, teen party in the afternoon and a couple of other parties to attend in between :))So while I should have been organised and done a lot in advance, uh... the reality was quite different. On thursday I was still scrambling for an idea for mishloach manot and for costumes.

So on Thursday morning, after the kids saw the eye dr (all healthy BH!!!) I hit upon inspiration in Superstore when I saw there fruit TWISTS ... twists - like how everything in the megilla gets twisted!! So I bought some of them, but fruit twists do not a mishloach manot make. I also bought some foil dishes thinking I would make cinammon twists. But when I got home I found out that I had run out of yeast, so nix that idea. Instead I used a cookie dough to make apricot twists (note to self: do not do again. Cookie dough does. not. twist. Not even in a bind) Eventually I came upon the inspiration to make brownies with a twist(ed icing) in the foil dishes. And, hey presto mishloach manot!! Well, not quite. I made a double batch of brownies which only made one third of what I needed, and I called it a night. To be continued :)

Friday was costume day. Dovid had an adorable cat in the hat costume we had picked up last year:
Hadassa had a queen costume from Savta that she wanted to wear. Which left Samuel, Sara Miriam and my costume to find. We went down to a costume shop hoping we could find something. But they were ridiculously expensive and even more ridiculously unhelpful. So we left, and I sent Samuel home to clean up the house for Shabbos as I went to Value Village in hope of some inspiration. Which I found! I found a pirate eye thingy which was the inspiration for Samuel's and a Corona hat which was the theme for my costume.
 
And the theme? Randomness! Just like the randomness that a superficial reading of the megilla suggests... random coincidences -- random character. But really coincidences is G-d's way of remaining anonymous!
Hope you all had a great Purim!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you had a hectic few days. B"H it all came together. I wouldn't even attempt to bake in such a rush! But then again... I never bake, so... ;)

My kids love the Cat in the Hat costume. :D

Gila said...

I forgot to mention that I baked the other 4 batches of brownies on Motzai Shabbos... And then packaged them up. Yes, I'm a bit of a last minute person...

Isn't it awesome? I found it last year just after Purim and it's provided a lot of entertainment since then. Now if only I could get it to do the cool clean up trick ...